Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Continuous Writing - Disappointment to parents

“You should not have done such a thing. You have disappointed both of us very much,” said my father. I looked at my parents and lowered my head. I was indeed apologetic for my action. I had never expected things to turn out this way.

Last Wednesday, I was at home helping my mother to do some household chores. I folded the clothes and kept them in the right drawers neatly. I enjoyed helping out as it made my mum happy. Looking after my two-year-old toddler brother was tiring for her. All this while, my mum had not been in her pink of health and my younger brother was a bit too active for her to handle. I tried to do what I could to relieve her from her chores.

“Ah Di, keep your hands off the cup,” my mum said to my brother. My brother toddled away and my mother quickly chased after him for fear that he might fall. I rose to my feet to place the cup back to the dining table.

“Ring… “ The phone rang. I answered the call.

I froze in fear when I recognized the voice of the caller. Chills ran down my spine. I did not expect her to call. I thought she would never call. I was wrong.

“Who’s that, Sam?” my mother asked across the living room.

“It’s for you, Mum,” I answered, handing her the receiver in cold and clammy hands.

I dared not look into my mum’s eyes. I knew it was too late to do any redemption. My doomsday arrived, much earlier than I expected.

My mum did not talk much over the phone. She was listening to the caller and nodding her head most of the time. Her brows furrowed and her cheeks turned ruddy. It was a bad sign for me.

“Thank you so much for calling me. Good bye,” Mum hung up the phone and slumped heavily on the chair. I guessed her heart also plunged hard together with the slump. Her eyes stared blankly in the air. After a while, she stood up and walked to the kitchen to prepare dinner.

In the evening, I heard my parents’ muffled conversation coming from their bedroom, occasionally punctuated with heavy sighs. My heart sank. “I shouldn’t have done it,” I reproached myself. I was preparing for the worst when the bedroom door opened.

My father appeared from the door, looking very grim. He sat down and gestured me to go over. My heart raced and my hands trembled. My feet moved against my will towards my dad, the figure of authority in the family.

“You should not have done such a thing. You have disappointed both of us very much,” said my father. “Your form teacher called this afternoon. You have been keeping us in the dark,” he continued, his voice raised this time.

“How many times have you played truant? Why did you do that?” his eyes shot at me, demanding for an answer.

I looked at my parents and lowered my head. I was indeed apologetic for my action. I was such a letdown. My heart was filled with remorse. How silly of me to think that I could get away! I had thought that by escaping, my overdue assignments would miraculously be forgotten by my teacher. I had never expected things to turn out this way. Hurting my parents was the last thing on my mind.

I kept quiet. My father flew into a rage. His hand swept furiously and rained whippings on me. I knelt on the floor and asked for his forgiveness. “I know I am wrong. I will not do it again. I will hand in all the work by next week,” I pleaded with my father.

My mum’s tears could not stop flowing. I could feel her pain. She must be so disappointed that her filial son was a truant. How could she ever accept that? My dad dropped the cane. He went into his room without saying a word.

I wiped away my tears. “This will be last time I do this to my parents,” I swore.

No comments: