Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Continuous Writing - My best friend's Phonecall

You were at home preparing for the coming examination. The phone rang. It was your best friend.

The examination was round the corner. I was at my desk, buried in a pile of notes. The clock chimed five times. I had to cover two more topics before my younger sisters came home. It would not be possible to study once they reached home. I looked out of the window to rest my eyes.

“Ring… Ring…” the phone rang. I stood up to answer the phone, prancing on the opportunity to take a longer breather.

“Hello, Linda. Do you want to come over for tea? I just baked brownies and it was a great success!” invited May, my best friend. She sounded exhilarated.

“I don’t think so, May. I still have tons to go through. Where on earth did you find time to bake?” I declined although I could hear my stomach growling in hunger.

“Oh! I am done with my revision. Come on, Linda. It won’t take long,” coaxed May.

May knew me too well. It was not me to reject good food. Furthermore, it was brownies, one of my favourites. The thought of a plate of hot brownies topped with ice cream made me salivate. I gulped down a mouthful of saliva.

“Err… don’t tempt me, Linda. You know I have a sweet tooth,” I answered, fighting hard to curb the temptation.

“Well, I’ll leave it to you. Give me a call should you change your mind,” May said understandingly. We ended the conversation and I returned to my revision. I was grateful that May did not persist. I would have succumbed to her invitation if she had coaxed further.

I had difficulty concentrating after the phone call. I could not lift my mind off the brownies. The image of them swirled in my mind, drifting me mind further and further away from my notes.

Time was ticking furiously away. I clutched my head to bring myself back. It was futile.

The doorbell rang.

I walked to the door.

“Surprise!!! It’s me!” I could not believe my eyes.

It was May, holding a brownie in front of me.

“Brownies for you, Ma’am?” May said teasingly, her eyes glinting in mischief. She handed the brownie to me. Of course, I was all ready to savour it .

“Thanks May. You really know me too well. I have been thinking of the brownies after talking to you,” I said in between nibbling on the mouth-watering brownie.

“Ha ha, I knew it. That’s why I am here. Well, I have to go now. Study hard!”

May left. I slurped the last bit of brownie in satisfaction. The brownie really did wonders. I was back to the notes in full concentration!

No comments: