Saturday, May 2, 2009

An MRT Ride

"Next station, Tanjong Pager,”the speakers aired the announcement.

It was just like any other Tuesday. I was taking a train to Tanjong Pager for work when it happened. A young man clad in black approached a lady swiftly but quietly. The lady was in her forties and she was standing near the door.

Without warning, he bent a little and yanked the lady’swallet that was tucked under her arms. The lady keeled over and fell. Realising what had happened, the lady screamed at the man. I saw what had happened and quickly pressed the emergency communication button that was right beside where I was sitting. I alerted the train operator and told him what was happening right then.

The train operator told me that there would be a sergeant at the next station. My relief mingled with worry. A few of the brave male passengers had tried to subdue the young man by pinning him down but were immediately shaken off by the well-built thief.

“Tanjong Pager station," came the announcement that I had been waiting for. Thinking that he was able to escape, the young man immediately sprang to the nearest door , preparing to flee.

Within seconds, the doors opened. He rushed out, shoving the commuters out of his way but he hit head-straight to a very muscular man who had a tag on his uniform which read “Sgt. David Lim”.

The young man tried to flee but he was nabbed by the sergeant almost immediately. The sergeant and few of his colleague swere quick in control and everything was restored to normal quickly. The statement of the lady was also taken. The young man was being led away soon after and the woman who had been standing beside me collapsed to the floor and cried.

I comforted her, “Don’t worry.”

But the woman looked at me sadly and snapped, “I don’t care about my wallet I care about my son !”

I was too shocked to reply. The person who had snatched her wallet was actually her son! How could her son do such a despicable act, robbing his own mother ?! The crowd dispersed and the tense atmosphere returned to the normal bustling atmosphere. I too continued on my journey to work, hoping hat the young man would change into a better person and the lady would get over this incident.

This eventful journey taught me a lot and also delayed me by minutes. Luckily, I made it to work right on the dot, not a second early or late.

Contributed by See Jia Yi
Class of 6-9 2009

No comments: