Friday, October 2, 2009

CW by Jiayi (unedited)

One day, the canteen was filled with the usual crowd from stall to stall. I was eating at the school canteen. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw May, my best friend, rushing towards me.

"Hey, June, I want to talk to you. It's urgent," May sat down beside me and said hurriedly. I gulped down my soup and asked, "Ok. What's the problem? "

May began her story, "Just after Mrs. Lim released us for recess, I went to the washroom and to my disbelief, I saw Linda smoking there. I tried to stop her and told her that smoking is bad for her health but she told me to stay away from her affairs and warned me not to tell anyone or else I'll pay for it. I've been worried about her. She hasn't been looking the best of health these few days."

Thinking back, Linda looked worn out and had been coughing non-stop for days. Sure enough, after recess, Linda walked past us and growled to May saying, "You better keep quiet!" May shot me a 'you-see' look and i finally believed May as Linda breath reeked of cigarette smells "Shouldn't we do anything to help her?" I asked May as soon as we sat down on our seats.

"Maybe we could confront her after school and advised her to stop smoking," May suggested. Thinking that it was the only choice we had, I agreed. Throughout the whole day, May and I were very unsettled, fearing that Linda might not listen to us. After what seemed like an eternity, the school bell finally rang. We bought our time by packing our bags slowly, waiting for Linda, as Mrs. Lim and the others went out. "Linda may be staying back to smoke again!"I whispered to May.

"Hey Linda wait!' May stopped Linda as she walked past her.

"What?!" Linda demanded,Linda looked at me and said,"You must have told her haven't you?"

"Linda,please! You've got to stop smoking! please!" I pleaded.

"I don't need your concerns!" Linda snapped at me.

"Linda please! What happened to you? Please stop all this madness! You could tell us! We will be there for you! We would help you in anyway we can!" I tried to talk some sense into her.

"I have no choice! All of you simply ignored me! I tried to ask you for help but you ignored me too! I have no choice but to resort to smoking to calm my nerves!" Linda finally spilled everything out .

A pang of guilt struck me. I thought to myself, feeling very sorry "What a failure friend I am!"

"Linda we are so sorry! We never know that we have been ignoring you!" May said to Linda. Linda smiled through her brimming tears showing that she forgave us. Because of this incident our bond with Linda became as strong as steel.

No comments: