Friday, October 2, 2009

CW: Nadiah's Writing (unedited)

While I was munching on my biscuits during my break-time, I pondered about the behaviour of my best friend, Jamie. She was usually chirpy and enthusiastic but strangely today, she was very quiet and she looked as if she was guilty of doing something. She did not even want to sit with me during break-time. How weird!

All of a sudden, I felt a tap on my shoulder. I nearly choked on my biscuits. I swiveled my neck only to see a panic-stricken Jamie. At that moment my mind was clouded with many questions.

“I need to talk to you now,” Jamie whispered, there was a sense of urgency in her tone.

“Sure,” I replied with a quick nod.

Jamie pulled my hand and took me to the library, where not many students were. I was really puzzled. Why must Jamie talk to me in the library? Why not in the canteen?

“Bella, promise me you won’t tell anyone about this,” Jamie whispered again into my ears, sounding very anxious.

I nodded and gave Jamie a you-can-trust-me look.

“Bella, I…actually…stole…Rayner’s handphone…” Jamie stammered, her lips quivered a little.

I was too shocked that my mouth just flung open, but no words came out of it. My best friend just did something terribly wrong! What was I supposed to do?

“Are you sure you stole his handphone?” I asked again, still stunned by Jamie’s confession.

Jamie just nodded her head gently.

I could not believe my ears! I just could not come to terms that Jamie was a thief. Jamie, my one and only best friend, was a thief.

“Please help me! I know I’m in the wrong. I feel so guilty now…” Jamie pleaded with me, letting her tears flow down her cheeks.

I was in a dilemma. If I were to inform my teacher about this, Jamie would certainly be dealt with a severe punishment. But if I just ignored this matter, Jamie might not learn her lesson.

“Where is the handphone now,” I asked Jamie softly.

“In my schoolbag,” replied Jamie as she wiped her tears away.

I assured her everything would turn out alright and soon she stopped sobbing. Then, both of us ran back to class and we went straight to Jamie’s bag.

Jamie took out the shiny, blue, latest Nokia handphone out of her bag. I remembered that Jamie longed to have that handphone. Maybe, that was the reason Jamie stole it from Rayner.

“But, Bella, I don’t want to confess. I’m scared,” cried Jamie, trembling in fear.

But, confession was the only solution I could think of. I really pitied Jamie and I did not want to betray her. But what could I do?

Suddenly, an idea flashed through my vexed mind!

“I have a brilliant idea! Why don’t we put Rayner’s handphone back to his bag? In that way, after recess, he would find out that his handphone was actually in his bag all along!” I explained my plan excitedly to Jamie who was all ears.

After explaining, Jamie instantly got to her feet, her face brightened up. I was delighted to see Jamie back to her normal self.

When I was about to put Rayner’s handphone back into his bag, I heard a loud, creaking noise. I turned around only to see Jamie and no one else.

“What’s wrong?” Jamie asked completely puzzled.

“Wait here,” I instructed and I slowly walked to the back of the classroom, making at least no noise.

When I turned to my right, I saw Rayner squatting down behind the back door of the classroom! I nearly jumped out of my skin!

“Aha! I heard everything! I know what’s going on! I know Jamie is the one who stole my handphone! I’m going to tell Mrs. Jennifer now!” shouted Rayner at the top of his voice and glared at us.

Then, he sped off, leaving Jamie and me all alone in the classroom. Jamie broke into tears. I tried to console her but to no avail. I had assured Jamie everything would turn out alright, but it did not. But, whatever it is, I would always stand by you, Jamie. Always.

No comments: