Monday, September 7, 2009

CW: Robbery in a lift by Guan Min

Do you believe that a robber can appear out of nowhere at any time and rob you? Perhaps not. But I had cheated death when I had a close encounter with one.

It was a blistering hot afternoon. Jane and I entered the lift and chit chatted. As the lift door was about to close, a man whose singlet was tattered and torn dashed towards the lift and attempted to stop the door from closing. Sweat trickled down his face and he looked breathless.

“Quick! Press the button. I am chased by the loan sharks,” he said in an anxious tone. Anxiety enveloped me. Jane was startled.

I pressed the button and led him to my house as soon as I reached the floor I am staying in. My heart was thumping faster each time I took a step.

“Mum, a man is chased by loan sharks and needs to take cover in our house,” I said swiftly while opening the door simultaneously.

“Who is he? Do you know him? If you do not know him, do not let him in!” my mum declined at once.

But after a while of persuading and convincing, I managed to coax my mum to let him stay for the night.

That night, I heard footsteps and the creaking of my room door. Someone was creeping stealthily into my room and pulling out my drawer. Initially, I thought it was my father but after a moment of ponder, I mumbled, “Why would my father be in my room so late at night.”

I gradually sat up and saw the man I met today. He took my bag, hand phone, wallet and my savings. As soon as he left my room, I tailgated the man until he ceased at my parents’ room. He crept in my parents’ room and took their money and valuables.

“What are you doing in here?” I asked softly.

“Give me all your money!” the man demanded as he brandished a knife on his hands.

This was enough to send chills down my spine and make my hair stand on ends. The man fled through the window in a blink of an eye. I woke my parents up and hastily, we ran and tried to catch up with him. As we caught up with the man, he pulled my hands in his wet and clammy palms and on the other hand, he held the knife and put it next to my neck. Never did I anticipate to be taken a hostage.

“Do not try to be funny! Hand me all your valuables!” the man demanded in an insolent manner and thunderous voice.

Mum went up and dialed for the police and it was still oblivious to the man. The sirens of the police car were heard moments later.

“Did you call the police?” the robber asked as he punctuated his sentence with profanities,

“Slash,” the sound of the knife was heard. Moments later, I blacked out. The man threw in the towel and I was sent to the hospital.

As I opened my eyes, I pondered, “Am I in heaven?” Beside me stood my family members. A grin appeared on my face. I was relieved and jubilant.

From then on, I learnt to cherish my life and not to be so gullible again. As for my mum, she kept blaming herself for letting the man in. She undoubtedly regretted her moment of folly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dialled(prefered)