Monday, September 7, 2009

CW: Wrong bus by Jin Hao

I was sitting on a bench, just outside my house, waiting for my bus to come. I saw a bus coming but could not see clearly what the bus number was as I had sent my glasses for repair. It looked like the bus service that I normally took, bus number 113. However I was not sure.

“Who cares?” I mumbled and straightaway boarded the bus without thinking of the consequences of my actions because I was going to be late for school!

“The journey to my school was only two stops away but why couldn’t I see my school after three stops?” I pondered to myself as I started getting a little worried. Only then did I ask the person sitting behind me what bus service it was.

“112” he replied, looking rather annoyed as he was suddenly interrupted of his sleep.

“Oh no! I have boarded the wrong bus!” I shouted as I pressed the stop button and hastily alighted from the bus. In my moment of carelessness, I left my bag in the bus without knowing it.

Only after I had run back to the bus stop outside my house did I realize my bag was missing. I must have left it on the bus!

“Not again?! What else can go wrong?” I moaned in exasperation.

At that time, another bus arrived at the bus stop. I squinted my eyes and found out it was 113.

So thus I decided to board it and retrieve my bag at the interchange where Bus Service 112 would terminate.

After endless riding on the bus, I got off at the interchange with a sore bottom. I went around looking for the bus captain that drove 112.

Suddenly, someone tapped me on the shoulder. I jumped and turned around only to find out that person was the bus captain of 112.

The bus captain held up my bag, smiled and said, “This is your bag, right?”

I nodded. “Keep it properly okay, boy? You may not be this lucky to get it back the next time! “ he added as a warm smile broke from his lips.

Ahh! My guardian angel! I thought to myself as he walked away.

Oh gosh! I’m going to be late! I thought as I stared at my watch. I immediately rushed back to my school. But it was too late! And of course, the predicted major scolding from the discipline master. And as though that was not enough, when I thought I could finally have some breathing space back in class, it was my teacher’s turn to breathe down my neck. She told me to stay back that day to write “I will not be late for school” a hundred times!

The whole class burst into laughter after hearing what the teacher had said. I thought they were laughing at the punishment I had to do. But no!! It was only then did I notice that my shirt was not tucked in, a few buttons were out and my hair was unkempt.

No one took pity on me. Not even my best friend, Benny, who was trying to stifle his giggles but to no avail.

After this mistake which cost me heavily, I decided to correct my bad habit of being too reckless and to be more careful. With or without my glasses.

No comments: