Tuesday, September 15, 2009

CW Wrong Bus by Navethira (unedited)

“Oh no! Not again!” I cursed under my breath while tying my shoe laces hastily.

It was already seven o’ clock. I was late for school for the fourth time. I knew I would be in hot soup for being late for times in a month. I then scrambled towards the staircase and then darted to the bus-stop. From a distance I could see the bus number twenty-seven turning towards the bus-stop. My strides got stronger and longer. I did not want to miss the bus once again.

Thankfully, I managed to board the bus in time. I scanned through the crowded bus for a vacant seat. Once I found the seat, I immediately sat down tiredly. Droplets of sweat trickled down my forehead. While I was catching my breath, I realized that the bus turned left instead of turning right. I was puzzled. Now the time was twenty minutes past seven. I knew that I was going to be late and adding on to my anxiety, the bus was travelling in a whole different route. My heart was beating faster than ever. Anxiety mingled with fear. Not only was I going to be late I was also going to be lost. What was I going to do? I wondered whether to I should ask any of the commuters for help.

Finally, I decided to check with the bus driver where the bus was going and why the bus route had changed. I was extremely sure that I had boarded bus number twenty-seven.i then hesitantly asked the bus-driver why the bus route had changed. He then stared at me and said that this was bus number twenty-seven A.

“What! 27A? But um…”I was totally puzzled.

How careless could I get! After a short pause, I asked the bus driver if the bus would go to my school. His answer made my heart sink.

“Well this bus will go to Senkang and probably reach Hougang in thirty minutes.”

Both relieved and worried, I carried my heavy school bag back to the seat. Time ticked by at snail’s pace. By the time the bus travelled around Senkang the time was already fifty minutes past seven.

The bus was now approaching Hougang, where my school was. I then got off and raced towards the school gate. There I saw my teacher with arms akimbo with a stern face. I knew I had to face the music so with crossed fingers, I greeted my teacher. Instead of being fuming mad at me, she put on a smile.

“Good morning Julia! You are early today! Keep up the good work! But why did you bring such a big bag?”

I stood there with a blank look. It then dawned on me that it was Teacher’s Day that day and that the reporting time was eight o’clock and that I did not need to bring my school bag. My mouth went agape. I felt so foolish I gave my teacher a sheepish smile and entered the school. Isince sworn that I should always read all the forms issued to me so that I would not make a fool of myself again.

No comments: