Thursday, September 11, 2008

Continuous Writing - Bully

You were on your way home from school one afternoon. You witnessed your neighbour, David, beaten by a group of older boys.

I was on my way home from school after a long day. The rays were beating down hard and I was soaked to my skin in my own perspiration. At the traffic light junction, I waited impatiently for the green man to appear. The sweltering heat was unbearable. I could not wait to get into my air-conditioned room.

Delighted to see the red man giving way to the green man, I crossed the road. My house was only five minutes away after a few more blocks of flats. Just as I was reaching my void deck, I heard desperate cries of pleading and help. The cries were followed by a barrage of fierce threats and heavy groans of pain. I sensed something amiss. Someone was in pain and needed help urgently.

I crept silently towards the commotion. Hiding behind a wall, I stealthily stuck my head out to steal a look. My mouth went wide agape at the sight. Covering my mouth to stop a scream from escaping, I witnessed the scene in terror. A group of older boys were bashing up David, my neighbour.

Curled in a ball, David winced in excruciating pain. The brutal kicks and punches rained on him, one after another. "Ple…ase… st…op…, I am… not… Ste…ven…," David whimpered. He stretched out his right arm to shield the beatings. His left hand clutched tightly on his stomach. A drop of blood trickled down from his right eye.

"You still dare to deny?? What big guts you have!!" the biggest boy roared in fury, his flailing arms never stopped sending his fists on David. I flinched in fright and rage. Hands balled into fists, I mustered my courage and stepped out from the wall.

I gathered all the voice I could find from within and yelled, "Police! Police!" The big boys froze for a split second and took to their heels. They disappeared in less than five seconds. I ran towards David. His eyes were filled with gratitude. I hoisted him up with great difficulty. He was feeble from the beatings. Grabbing him by his arms, we staggered to his house. Panting heavily, David struggled through his every step. Neither of us uttered a single word.

At his doorstep, his gait got slightly stronger. He inserted the key shakily and unlocked the door. We parted after he had given me an assuring look that he was fine. I looked at the bruises and cuts he sustained. Knowing David's strong character, I was certain he was able to take care of himself. I gave him a pat on his shoulder and took my leave.

On my way home, the fighting scene remained vivid on my mind. I shuddered. I really hoped that the boys would stop harassing David.

No comments: