Thursday, September 11, 2008

Continuous Writing - You and your classmates were at the school field...

You and your classmates were at the school field playing soccer when all of you heard someone screaming for help.

I strode towards the football. Dennis had done a perfect pass. I dribbled it deftly towards the goal post, weaving through Samuel's interception successfully. About two metres away from the goal post, I took aim and gave a kick. The ball lobbed in the air, surpassing Ali's attempt to block it. The next few seconds seemed to come a standstill. I watched in anticipation, muttering "In, in, in!" under my breath.

As the ball was finding its way into the net, ready to give it a bulge, a scream laced with agony startled everyone at the school field. We stopped in our tracks and swiveled our necks to where the scream came from. All our eyes were fixed on the dustbin at the gate of the field, with two lower primary boys towering over a girl seated on the ground.

Curiosity got the better of us. We sprinted towards the trio. As we neared them, we heard soft cries, pitiful and helpless ones. It was the girl. She must be in great pain. We approached them and spotted specks of fresh blood spattered on the ground.

"What happened?" Samuel, our class monitor, who was also the school head-prefect, asked in concern. I stooped down to take a closer look at the girl's wounded knee. Ali quavered at the sight. Her top skin peeled, half of it dangling loosely. Blood oozed copiously from the laceration, staining her white socks and shoes.

"Joe pushed Sharon down and she fell on the broken glass," the bespectacled boy explained, his finger pointing at his friend whose face was filled with nothing but guilt and fear.

Our eyes fell on John. His face went red. He wanted to open his mouth but could only utter, "I..."


Sharon was still crying though her cries got softer. Dennis had returned from the general office to get a first-aid kit. He gingerly cleaned the wound and wiped away the blood. Sharon twitched whenever Samuel dabbed on the cut. I was impressed with her high threshold for pain. I would have yelled and struggled if I were in her position.

"Why did you push her?"Samuel asked, his stern eyes emitting authority so overpowering even the others and I shuddered.

"I... I... I..." John stuttered, loss for words. "I did not do it on purpose," he continued sheepishly in a shaky voice. "I was not looking and did not see her," he mustered the remains of his courage to answer his head-prefect's question.

"Are you sure it was an accident?" Samuel refused to take what he said so readily. "I did not do it on purpose. I swear. I really did not see her. I was walking and looking at the goal he was about to score," John turned to look at me, his voice calmer this time.

"It's true. He did not do it purposely," the bespectacled boy spoke up.

Samuel shot me a quick wink, unnoticeable to the three little ones. "Ok, I trust you. But you still have to apologise to Sharon for causing her so much pain."


John meekly walked towards Sharon and mumbled, "Sorry, I did not push you down purposely. Are you all right?"


Sharon nodded. I guessed the pain on her knee was alleviated under Dennis' careful treatment. Ali and John hoisted her up and took her to the general office. We left after the clerk had informed her parents. Before leaving, John looked at me and said, "That was a beautiful shot." I smiled and gave him a pat.

We went back to the field to get our ball which was sitting nicely in the goal post. My eyes sparkled in triumph and I exclaimed to Samuel, "It was a goal! You lost this game."

No comments: