Thursday, September 11, 2008

Continuous Writing (Picture)- Bee Attack

You and your best friend were cycling at the park. Your friend spotted a bee-hive.

I pedaled hard to catch up with Zelda. I wished I had the speed and stamina like hers. She was only about three metres ahead but it seemed impossible to gain on her. Gritting my teeth, my feet pushed harder, driving my bicycle nearer hers. Not many cyclists and joggers were at the park that fateful Saturday. We almost had the whole pavement to ourselves.

My best friend suggested a burst of ten loops. My jaw almost dropped but I sportingly took up the challenge. At the fourth lap, I was
panting heavily like a dog. I looked up and saw Zelda's back receding in the distance.

"Come on, Dilys! Keep going!" I
muttered to myself. I wiped away the fat drops of perspiration that trickled down from my forehead and looked ahead again. Zelda had slowed down. My golden opportunity to overtake her! I rode with all my might. Zelda had slowed down further. I pedaled faster. We got closer and closer to each other. Soon, we were side by side.

"Dilys, what do you think that is?" Zelda pointed her finger to a lamppost, her voice shaking.
My eyes rested on a brownish, oval object that hung precariously from the top of the lamppost. Wrapping around the object was a grey mist. It did not take long for me to understand the reason of my best friend’s shaky voice. A wave of chills surged through my bones.

We turned to look at each other.
Fear was written on Zelda's face. She may be an athlete, but she succumbs helplessly when it comes to insects, especially threatening ones like the bees above us. Glued to the spot, we watched with fear building up within us.

The beehive swayed in the breeze.
My heart skipped a beat with every of its back and forth motion. It was pivoted more loosely than we first spotted it.

"Zelda, we have to get out of here before another gust of wind blew it down on us," I said,
fighting to look calm.

"Okay," uttered Zelda,
her brows furrowed in anxiety.

"Let's go!" I whispered, for fear that our voice would anger the bees.

At that moment, came a gust of wind strong enough to provoke the bees in the hive. A buzzing sound
rose in a crescendo.

Panicked, both of us pedaled, unable to keep our balance at first. We steadied ourselves and focused on cycling without looking back, without
uttering a word. We just pedaled, pedaled and pedaled. All we wanted was to shake off the angry swarm of bees which had gone on a fierce rampage behind us. We swatted them away with our hands.

My legs went from soft to rigid and from rigid back to soft. I had to go on cycling. Zelda was slightly ahead of me. She too,
steeled herself to shake off the angry bees despite the stings she suffered.

After what seemed like cycling for miles and miles, the buzzing
grew fainter and fainter. The bees had stopped chasing us. They had given up! We dared not stop our bikes immediately. We gave a few more pushes before giving in to exhaustion.

"The bees are gone! We won!" I said in between my
huffing and puffing.

Zelda smiled. We pedaled home together, this time at a very, very comfortable pace.

(Picture will be uploaded later...)

No comments: