Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Continuous Writing (Picture) - An accident at the Food Centre

It was lunch hour. The hawker centre was packed with people from all walks of life. I had been circling around for ten minutes in vain to find a seat. To my delight, I caught sight of a table of patrons taking their leave. Hurriedly, I weaved my way to the table for fear that others might spot the seat and take the seat before I reached there.

I walked past a dessert stall and a chicken rice stall. I settled down comfortably on the table in front of a stall that sold fried kway teow. "Hmm, what should I eat?" I wondered. Gulping down the first mouthful of iced longan from the dessert stall, I relished the cooling sensation as it made its way down to my stomach. My thirst was quenched but my rumbling stomach was still protesting in hunger.

The roast chicken seemed to be beckoning at me invitingly. That should be it! "Aunty, a plate of chicken rice, please," I shouted over the noise to place my order.

I took my seat again and waited. From a distance, my eyes set upon a scrawny lady. Her skin was unusually sallow and her face was haggard for her age. In her hands were two bagfuls of what seemed like groceries. With her neck craned to look for either someone or a seat, she looked even more gaunt. Just a gust of wind could blow her away!

Since I was the only person at the table, I raised my hand to get her attention. Our eyes met and her tired-looking face smiled a thankful smile. She struggled with her two heavy bags towards my direction. I was about to rise to my feet to give her a helping hand when she suddenly slipped on something on the greasy floor. Failing to keep her balance, her things were hurled in the air before they were scattered on the floor. A thump ensued quickly. She fell, her nose flat on the floor!

Many around were shocked at the sight. But it happened too fast for anyone to stop her from falling. There were some gasps and muttering from the other patrons. I walked towards the damsel in distress. Her body was motionless. Grabbing her by the shoulders, I turned her around. Her face was writhing in great pain. I was puzzled. How could the pain from a fall be so excruciating? Besides the impact from the fall, she must be enduring other physical pain. What could it be?

"Are you all right, Miss?" I asked while trying to help her up. Some kind-hearted people had by then helped to pick up her stuff. A grateful look and a weak smile were all she could manage.

"Let me help you order your food. What do you like to have?" I offered.

She gazed at the plate of chicken rice which I ordered. "Got it, you can have this first while I go and order another plate for myself," I said.

As I made my way to the chicken rice stall, my view rested upon a patch of something at the spot where the lady had slipped. Upon a closer peek, I saw a piece of chicken skin lying innocuously on the floor. "So this is the culprit!" I muttered under my breath. I picked it up and dumped it into a bin before the next victim arrived.

When I returned, I saw two crumpled two-dollar notes tucked neatly under the empty plate. The lady was no more in sight. Though I did not have the chance to tell her to take good care of herself, I wished she would be more healthy-looking if I were to bump into her again.

Picture will be uploaded later...

No comments: