Friday, September 12, 2008

Continuous Writing - It was recess. I was walking towards the staffroom...

It was recess. I was walking towards the staffroom to see my teacher. Before I reached the staffroom, I heard someone sobbing.

I trudged listlessly along the corridor. Ms Lim, my form teacher, had summoned to see me during recess.

"See me at recess later," Ms Lim's words reverberated in my ears. Her cold and stern stares behind her black-rimmed glasses and devilish red lips sent shudders into my bones.

My heart hammered in trepidation but I was prepared to receive the worst from her. The last time I had to see her during recess was merely two Fridays ago. She blared into my ears, admonishing me throughout the twenty minutes. I swore that even those from the next block could hear her. I wondered what I did wrong this time. Since the shelling, I had been doing my work conscientiously. Not that I wanted to, but I had to for fear of another round of dressing down from her.

From a distance, I saw the daunting doors with the words "STAFFROOM". I took a deep breath and balled my hands into fists. As I neared the entrance, something caught my attention. Someone was sobbing. Curious, I stopped in my tracks. I strained my ears to locate the source of the sobbing, my eyes scanning vigilantly at the same time.

The sobbing was intermittent, alternating between quick bouts of sniffing and soft cries. The poor soul must be terribly upset. I strained my ears harder and looked around again. My eyes stopped at a point. Behind the potted bougainvillea at the end of the corridor was a little crouching figure.

Stirred by a compelling sense to help, I advanced like a knight towards the damsel in distress. I lay my hand gently on her shoulder. She raised her head with a start. My heart melted in sympathy as I was greeted by a tear-stricken face.

Noting the embroidered name tag, I asked with concern, "What's the matter, Veron? Why are you crying?"

She opened her mouth in an attempt to answer me but could not manage anything intelligible through her sobs. I rubbed her back soothingly, the way my mother did to me when I was younger. She wiped away the fat drops of tears which could not stop rolling down her cheeks.

"Is there anything you want me to help you?" I asked, offering her a piece of tissue paper. Again, she tried to tell me something. But this time, as soon as the words were at her lips, she swallowed them all again. Losing my patience a little, I held her shoulders and looked into her eyes,

"Tell me what happened, please. I am running out of time. I have to see my teacher before the bell rings."

Frightened by my tone, she buried her head into her knees with her arms wrapped her arms around them. I was in despair and almost wanted to abandon her when I noticed a puddle beneath her. Her skirt was damp.

"Come with me, Veron. I'll get you changed," I patted on her head, my tone much gentler this time.

Obediently, she stood up. I held her hand and we went into the staffroom, to request for a set of dry clothing for Veron before I proceeded to see Ms Lin. I wondered what Ms Lin had in store for me…

No comments: