Thursday, September 11, 2008

Continuous Writing - You were reading a book when...

You were reading a book in your room when you heard your mother shout, “Come downstairs, everyone!”

The afternoon was quiet. I was deeply engrossed in the book I was reading. Roald Dahl is one of my favourite writers. He never failed to hold my interest with all his books. Page after page, the story grew more and more exciting. I held the book even tighter and my eyes glued nearer as I approached the climax. Before turning over to the next page, the silence in the air was shattered by my mother's deafening shout.

"Come downstairs, everyone!" my mother shouted at the top of her voice. I bolted upright. Detecting the anger in my mother's voice, I woke up Sandy, my younger sister, from her sleep.

"Wake up, Sandy! Mum wants us downstairs now!" I shook her shoulders gently. She roused and pried open her eyelids slowly. I held her hand and led her downstairs to the living room.

Mum was standing with arms akimbo at the sofa where the cordless phone was lying innocuously. The rise and fall from her chest was obvious even at a distance away. Something real serious must have triggered her fury. Could it be related to a phone call? It was not usual for Mum to lose her temper.

Sandy and I turned to look at each other. Confusion and fear were written on Sandy's face. I was certain mine did not differ much. I squeezed her hand a little and we walked hesitantly towards her.

"Steven, what a shame you have been!" Mum screeched, glowering sparks at me.

Puzzled, I wanted to ask why but decided to shut my mouth. It was unwise to talk back when she was in such a rage.

"Mr Khamil told me all about it. You better tell me the truth before I rain whips on you!" Mum shrieked with her voice shaking. I almost jumped upon hearing Mr Khamil's name.

I knew I was going to be in hot soup. I hung my head low, occasionally stealing glances at Mum. She was still breathing heavily with her fists tightly clenched.

For what seemed like ages, the house fell into dead silence. I stood like a statue, not moving a single muscle. Totally engulfed in guilt and fear, I did not dare utter a word. Mum was waiting. I searched for my voice and courage but to no avail. She was still waiting.

Finally, I mustered enough courage to look up. I was taken aback. The fury on her face had given way to disappointment. Mum was weeping, shedding tears of disappointment. I was more guilty than ever. I had hurt Mum, my dearest Mum. How could I?

"Mum, I won't do it again!" I promised in remorse. "Trust me!" I pleaded softly.

Mum looked away from me. She took Sandy from my hand and told her, "Sandy, I want you to remember this. Never, never think that you can get away from any misdeeds. It is totally foolish and irresponsible!" With that, she took her upstairs, leaving me behind.

The afternoon was quiet again.

No comments: