Friday, August 21, 2009

CW Accident by Jia Yi (unedited)

It was a terrible thunderstorm, lighning was striking in every direction and the rain pelted down against my whole body. My friend, James, and I were trying to find a shelter to escape away from the terrible storm after work from the hospital. We could see people running helter-skelter in every direction.

When we finally found one, we were soaked from head to toe. "How are we ever going to get home if the rain is so heavy.

"It's so troublesome!" I complained.

"Come on! Let's just wait awhile. It would soon die down," James, being the calm one, assured me.

As soon as he finished his sentence, "WHAM!" A thunderous noise was heard over the storm.

"What was that?!"I asked. But I got my answer a moment later, directly opposite of us, a big tree was uprooted by the strong wind from the storm and had crushed onto a van which was directly below it. The impact caused was so great that the rear of the van was obviously fiattened than before. James, who was standing frozen like a statue beside me, gasped in horror,

"Oh! I hope they are okay!" I did not know what made me do it but the next moment, I was racing towards the van with James right beside me. As a reflex, I immediately pulled open the nearest door which was the passenger's door. Pulling the lady out of her seat, my medical instinct kicked in. I checked her to see if she had sustained any serious injury. I relaxed a while when i can comfirmed that she did not suffer any serious internal or external injury except for some minior cuts on her arms.

But luck was not on our side. James shouted from the other side.

"Harry! Not good! Come over here!" I asked the man who was also helping to look after her while i ran to where James was. What greeted me was a gruesome sight. The driver, was covered in blood from head to toe even his legs were not spared, was gasping for air. I tried to rip some cloth off his shirt to stop his bleeding but i could not touch his wound as there are tiny twigs in his wound everytime I tried to pluck them out, he would wince in pain. I had never felt so hopeless in helping my patients. I could not do anything to help him.

"If help doesn't arrive, he might not pull through," I said to James. As though everyone could hear, the whole congested road fell silent except for the sob of the lady on the other side. As seconds ticked by, the breathing of the driver became shallower and shorter. Soon, the panting stopped, the once thudding heart weakened and stopped.

Till this day, I still blame myself, "If only I had helped the man by attending to him first when he was unconscious, because he won't felt anything at that time!" "Why didn't someone dialed "995" for some help?!" I would always think to myself. How I wish I can turn back the clock to help the man. One innocent life would not be lost like this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

1)lightning(1st line)spelling
2)"How are we ever going to get home if the rain is so heavy?"(line
9-10)Puntuation
3)"What was that?"I asked(line 16)
Puntuation error
4)flattened (line 21) Spelling
5)confirmed (line 32) Spelling
6)minor (line 33) Spelling
7)dialled(line 39) spelling