Friday, August 21, 2009

CW Trekking by Jing Jie (unedited)

“Let me see, we do have everything we need, don’t we?” I said aloud. My classmates, Jerry and Jacob, had promised to go hiking in Bukit Timah hill with me.
We were at the foot of the mountain, getting ready to climb the hill. In a flash, we started off our journey.
The climb was tiring but fun as we had the chance to meet many cute animals such as monkeys, frogs and even a flying squirrel. Then, a sudden gust of air hit me like a sledgehammer. I felt that it was strange. I rarely felt such powerful winds like this.
Then, an object, too fast to be seen clearly, flew past us like a bolt of lightning. One thing that was clear to us was the sound. The sound that it made was terrible.
My ears had not stopped ringing for one minute or so. We gave chase. The object was still speeding ahead of us, making strange patterns in the air, then it stopped. Its pointed cone facing us.
My mouth was agape as I stared at the sleek, black, aircraft. It was not one I had ever seen. The bottom of the craft was a small opening. Suddenly, a pod-like object fell from the opening of the aircraft. Immediately after the object was released, the aircraft vanished in a blink of an eye.
I stood there, stunned and mystified at the same time. As Jerry and Jacob ran towards the direction of the pod-like object, I merely stood there, too stunned to speak.
“Check it out, this thing is absolutely awesome!” Jerry hollered. Jacob nodded in agreement and started meddling with it. I started walking towards them, that was when something strange happened. Another blast of air knocked me off my feet, almost taking my breath away.
Jerry noticed something was amiss, he ran back to me and asked, “Are you feeling okay? You seem out of breath.”
I sat down to rest, as I told them about the things that had happened when we first saw the craft.
We were so absorbed in our discussion that we did not notice the pod-like object rattling violently.
I was the first one to hear the loud, rattling noise. I took one glance at the object and shouted, “Take cover!”
As though it was answering my response, the pod hissed loudly and burst into flames and a green substance flowed out of it like a fountain. Jerry smelled it, thinking it was lime juice. He jumped back, disgusted by the smell.
We did not have to think twice before running off, with Jacob in the lead.
If only we had turned back to see a stunted figure emerging from the pod, glancing at our retreated backs with an expressionless face…

No comments: