Wednesday, August 19, 2009

CW Accident by Juliano (unedited)

I always took everything for granted, my good health, my family, my career and everything. It was only after that very accident that I started to treasure things around me.
"Are we there yet, Dad?" my son asked me with excitement in his voice.

It was two in the afternoon. I was taking my family to the cinema to catch a movie. As we drove to the cinema, the sound of raindrops pelting on the roof of my car was heard. I was not bothered by the the rain, thinking it was just a light drizzle and nothing could go wrong, but as we drove on, I soon realized that I was gravely mistaken .The light drizzle soon grew heavier and not before long , heavy curtain of rain poured relentlessly on my windshield.
I turned on my wipers and drove on. Just as I was about to reach the cinema, a streak of lightning bolted across the gloomy skies, striking a 10-foottall tree. The tree wobbled unstably, threatening to fall unto the road.

Right at that moment, we were approaching the tree, oblivious to the looming danger. It was only when I heard the shrieks of fear then I realized that the tree was about to squash us. I tried to swerve out of the way in a futile attempt. The tree smashed unto us with a loud deafening "bang". The impact ofthe fallingtree had dented the car and even made a hole the size of a pumpkin.

I was sent jerking forward and hit my head on the steering wheel and blood was oozing ever so fast. The rain only made it worse . The rain flowed through the smashed windscreen and beat on myhead, stinging me. I feebly swiveled around and I almost fainted .My wife, Marie, was there hugging my son. She had borne the brunt of the impact from protecting my son and was now unconscious. Her face was drained of colors. Then the door burst open and there stood some people. They gently took us out of the car, which looked more like scrap metal, and put us at a place which I could not identify. The last thing I remembered was the ear-blasting wailing of the sirens. Then I blacked out.

The next thing I knew, I was in the hospital bed with relatives and a doctor around me. I got up from the bed, with a slight pain in my waist and asked anxiously, "Myfamily how are they?!" The doctor told me Jackson was still unconscious but out of danger. But as for Marie, she was still in a coma and it was unknown when she would wake up. This news was both relieving and hurting.

Till this day Marie is still in a coma and I am in a wheelchair .I am no longer a happy and rich man as I was before and now struggling to pay Marie's hospital bills and Jackson's school fees. But I learned to treasure things that are close to me and never take them for granted

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

1) I was not bothered by the (the)rain (repeated word)
2)The impact of the falling tree had dented the car and even made a hole the size of a pumpkin. (line 17-18)
3)The rain flowed through the smashed windscreen and beat on my head(line 20-21)(myhead)words jointed
4)I feebly swivelled(Line 21) (swiveled)spelling error
5)Her face was drained of colours(Line 24) (colors) spelling error

Anonymous said...

Very sorry
1) line 10-11
2) line 27-30
3) line 33-36
4) line 36
5) line 40