Tuesday, August 18, 2009

CW Accident by Nadiah (unedited)

“Boom!” an ear-blasting thunder roared across the dark, gloomy sky.

I was jolted out of my skin. Quickly, I grabbed my umbrella and opened it. Soon enough, it began to pour heavily. I was glad that I was prepared for the heavy downpour.

“Boom!” another roaring thunder boomed.

In succession, a loud crashing sound could be heard. I spun to the direction of the sound. The sight which greeted me made my eyes widened in disbelief and my mouth hanging open.

There, right in front of my very eyes, I witnessed a huge tree crashed down on a blue van. The van was indeed crushed badly and the windscreen of the van was smashed to smithereens. Shards of glass were strewn all over the road. The van driver and the passenger was trapped inside. They wailed for help.

Panic bubbled inside me. I was so astounded that I did not know how to react. I just stood rooted to the ground, watching the driver and passenger crying for help.

Soon, four kind-hearted passers-by came scurrying to the blue van with their umbrellas. They attempted to pull the little girl out of the van and they were successful. The little girl broke free with tears of joy streamed down her cheeks.

“Call the ambulance!” shouted one of the passers-by loudly.

I fumbled into my pocket and fished out my handphone and dialed the number ‘999’ and ‘991’.

As I waited anxiously under my umbrella, I watched closely at the futile attempts of the four passers-by to pull the driver.

“Pit! Pit!” honking sounds of some cars could be heard blaring away.

Soon, the road was congested with vehicles and honking noises filled the air.

I knew I had to help out somewhere. I just felt I should. With much hesitation, I dashed forward onto the slippery road to help and free the driver. I tried with all my might to pull out the driver, but to no avail. Sweats trickled down my forehead and my arms turned jelly, but I continued pulling out the driver, not having the slightest feeling of giving up. The driver’s feet were trapped onto the pedal. I tried to pull him again but he shrieked in excruciating pain. I could not bear to see him groaning in unbearable pain, but what could I do?

I craned my neck, looking further down the pedal. The driver’s feet were soaked in blood. The driver sustained a deep cut on his leg. I had to take him to the hospital as he was losing too much blood. How should I send this driver to the hospital? How was it possible for the ambulance to arrive here when there was a traffic jam? My mind was clouded with unanswered questions.

“How about you clear this congestion?” I asked one of the passers-by.

The passer-by nodded his head in agreement and started diverting the vehicles by flagging his arms, just like a traffic warden.

About five minutes later, the sirens of the ambulance reverberated in the air. Then, the paramedics got off the ambulance and put the little girl on the stretcher.

“Daddy! Daddy!” the little girl wailed uncontrollably.

She struggled to get off the stretcher to go to her father but the paramedics pinned her down.

“I will save your father,” one of the paramedics assured the little girl.

When the paramedics rushed to the van driver, he had slipped into unconsciousness, his face drained of colours. As quickly as possible, the paramedics set to work. They pulled the driver out with all their strength.

Alas, the pedal budged and the driver’s foot was freed. The paramedics lay the driver on the stretcher and hurried to the hospital.

“Daddy!” screamed the little girl at the top of her voice as she was carried into a different ambulance.

I stared at the badly crushed lorry. I was puzzled that the little girl escaped unscathed despite the great impact of the crash. Nevertheless, I silently prayed that the driver would come into conscious soon as he had the little girl to take care of.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

1) dialled (prefered)