Friday, August 21, 2009

CW Accident by Navethira (unedited)

“Oh dear! It is seven o’clock already! I am late!” I cried as I was in my void deck, under my block.
Just as I was about to dash to the carpark, huge fat Drops of rain pelted down. I was annoyed. Everything was going topsy-turvy for me that particular morning. I felt awful.

Without an umbrella, I scampered towards the carpark, only to realise that I had carelessly dropped my car-key in my haste. Then as I darted to pick up my keys, a strong gust of wind blew in my direction, messing up my neatly combed hair. Frustrated, I ran towards the car once again. By then, I was drenched. I was soaked to the skin. Feeling colder than ever, I sat in my car and headed for work.

As I was late, I started to drive quickly. Then a bolt of lightning caught my attention. This was the first time in my life seeing a streak of lightning so bright and near. That very moment, out of nowhere there was a car that did not move an inch. I then jammed hard on the brake pedals with all my might. My car then screeched to a halt. Thankfully my car did not skid on such a slippery road.

The sight that greeted me, left my mouth agape. I saw a large tree lying on top of the van before me. It then dawned on e that the streak of lightning that flashed across the cloudy had hit the tree, causing it to fall. Now there was a traffic congestion. There were several cars lined behind my car.

“Could my morning get any worst?” I cursed under my breath.

Many pedestrians and car-drivers were at the scene, lending a helping hand to the couple who were trapped in the van. Upon seeing this, my conscience bugged me. I knew I should help but did not want to make my morning worst. At the same time I knew that I would be in hot soup if I were to be late once again. My manager would definitely blow his top and possibly fire me . I did not want that to happen! So I remained in my car watching the horrific scene while biting my finger nails in anxiety.

Soon two male pedestrians managed pry open the door of the van and rescue the female commuter who looked rather familiar while the others’ attempts to rescue the man was fruitless. On seeing this, I realized that the man might kick the bucket if he was not rescued in time. I was about to fish out my cellphone to summon the ambulance. But I saw an on-looker the buttons as fast as she could. I knew that she was calling the ambulance and so I ran forward to the massive accident scene. After countless attempts of hard work, other passers-by and I managed to open the driver’s door which was squashed and rescued the driver.

To my surprise, the person whom I saved was my manager. Thankfully my manager and the female passenger, who was my manager’s wife suffered minor bruises and were in stable condition. I then gave Mr. Lee, my manager a sheepish grin as it was the third time I was late for work. Instead of being fuming mad at me, Mr. Lee thanked me whole heartedly as if not for me he might have suffered more severe injuries.

That very second, the ambulance arrived at the scene with its sirens blasting. But as no one was injured, the left not having a need to do anything. Mr. Lee’s van could never be salvaged again so it was sent to the car workshop. I ferried Mr. and Mrs Lee to work in my car. I was glad that my morning did not turn bad after all. I felt like a hero!

No comments: