Friday, July 3, 2009

SW - Letter to Residents (Lost Rabbit)

Take note of the following common mistakes:

1. 2nd October 2008 --> Wrong
2 October 2008 --> Correct
'nd' is not necessary after the numeral 2. Some pupils wrote as 2th!
Some left out the year.

2. I had lost... --> Wrong
I lost ---> Correct
"had lost" is past participle. Refer to the first point. It says 'the date
you lost your rabbit', NOT 'the date you had lost your rabbit'.

3. blk 53 --> Wrong
Blk 53 --> Correct
This is a proper noun. Hence, the first letter must be capitalised.

4. Blk 53 -->incomplete information
lift lobby at Blk 53 --> complete information

5. The two physical features is... --> Wrong
The two physical features are... --> Correct
Subject-verb agreement. Subject (The two physical features) is plural.

6. favourite food and favourite toy are not examples of physical features.
Physical features refers to characteristics of the physique/body.
The two physical features are:
- female
- brown and white

7. heart condition. --> Wrong
a/her heart condition. --> Correct
'a heart condition' is a singular noun. Hence, it needs a quantifier. In
this example, the quantifier is 'a'.

Suggested answer:

4 October 2008

Lost Rabbit

Dear residents

I have lost my pet rabbit, Dottie, on 2 October 2008 (1m). I was at the lift lobby of Blk 53 (1m) when I found out that my rabbit was missing.

Dottie is a female (1m) and has brown and white fur (1m). She is in need of care because of her heart condition (1m). I can be contacted at 97897894 (1m).

Thank you for your attention.

Regards
Nelly

No comments: