Tuesday, April 14, 2009

An abandoned baby

That dreadful, inhuman act taught me a lot. Till now, I could not believe that such a person existed in this world...

It all started on a Friday morning. I was walking home. When I reached the foot of my void deck, something at a corner caught my sharp eyes, something that was lying on the ground. Curious, as I always was, I decided to take a look. As I got nearer and nearer to the thing, I realised that it was just a brown, small parcel.

But what if there was a bomb inside? My imagination ran wild. I would always shudder at the thought of terrorism attacks. Curiosity got the better of me. I decided to take the small, brown parcel that was lying on the ground. With each step I took, my breathing rate increased. I closed my eyes and reached out for the parcel.

All of a sudden, I felt a vice-like grip on my arm. I was so stunned that my soul almost jolted out of my body. I spun around and was face-to-face with a tall-built man. My eyes almost popped out of their sockets.

"Don't touch it! Let's just call the police," warned the man.

"Who are you?" I asked the man instead.

"I sat there just now and saw a teenaged girl placing the parcel over there. I decided to call for the police but my handphone's battery was flat. Then, I saw you approaching the parcel, so, I stopped you, afraid that there might be some dangerous items in there,"explained the man.

I fumbled in my pocket for my handphone and fished it out. "Phew..." I heaved a sigh of relief upon looking that my phone's battery was fully charged. I punched the emergency number and waited until there was an answer.

In twenty minutes' time, sirens were heard blaring. The police officers got off the car and cordoned off the area. Then, three police officers squatted near the parcel, slowly revealing its content. I waited for that moment in anticipation, my fingers tightly crossed. My eyes widened in disbelief when I saw a new born baby lying on the officer's hand.

"Oh my God!" I gasped in disbelief. I just could not believe that the person had the guts to put that new born baby in the parcel. What sins did the baby commit?

Soon after, the police officer came to me and the tall-built man and began explaining and questioning us.

"Thank you for informing the police. has either of you seen who put the parcel here?"questioned the police officer again.

"Yes. I saw a teenaged girl placing the parcel and decided to alert the police," told the tall-built man what he witnessed.

"Is the baby alive?" I asked out of curiosity.

"I checked the pulse, but I felt nothing. Now, the baby has been sent to the hospital for further checks. Whatever it is, I really appreciate both your help. Thank you very much," the police officer thanked us.

Soon, I continued to walk home with the incident that had just occured replaying in my mind.

Contributed by Nadiah Isa
Class of 6-9 2009

No comments: