Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Journey

It was the night before we left for New Zealand. All twelve of us, my cousins, our parents and I were scurrying up and down the house, doing our last-minute packing. It was such a chaos.
Since I was the youngest, my mother packed my luggage, leaving me with nothing to do. So I decided to help my older brother, Jason. As I stepped into his room, I asked him if he needed help. His reply was something I expected.
“Get out! No help needed! Why don’t you pack your luggage by yourself!” he said sarcastically with a sly grin.
This time I had it. I was fuming mad. “Stop it! You are the worst brother ever!” I protested, seething in anger.
Upon hearing this, my mother stomped towards us. She demanded to know what had happened. Before I could speak up, Jason who always got away with murder, patronized my mother and blamed me. I was wrongly accused and was asked to go to bed immediately while Jason was left scot-free.
Cursing Jason under my breath, I wished not to have such a family. Soon I dozed off.
The next thing I knew was that I was waken up by my father abruptly, saying that we were late for the flight as the alarm clock had failed to ring. Without delay, I jolted upright and dashed to the bathroom. The entire house was topsy-turvy.
As soon as we got ready, we scrambled into the car and headed for the airport. At the airport, we rushed to check in. But as everyone was mad with me, no one held my hand. I could not keep up and soon lost sight of my cousins.
I spotted my mother and ran behind her. I followed her and boarded the same flight as she did. I then settled on an empty seat, away from my mother.
Throughout the journey, I listened to music from my headphones , oblivious to my surroundings. As soon as the plane landed, I alighted and waited for my family. Once everyone had alighted, I scanned through the crowd for them but could see no one. Grasping that something was amiss, I craned my neck and peered out of the window. I confirmed my worst fears. I was in Australia.
I realized the lady I followed was not Mum. My fear escalated. I was panic-stricken. How was I going to survive with neither money nor a handphone? “Did my wish of not having a family really come true?” I wandered.
Meanwhile in New Zealand my family had addressed the issue and made arrangements to come to Australia. I was terrified. I could do nothing but hope for the best. Time ticked by. I started to lose hope.
After hours, my family arrived. Upon seeing them, I was as happy as a lark. I happily ran towards them. From this journey, I have learnt to appreciate my family. There is nothing in the world that I need more than them.

Contributed by Navethira
Class of 6-9 2009

No comments: