Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Journey

The “journey” of me being the only child in the family ended. I remembered vividly the news that my mum told me that she was having a baby.

I was not happy for her. Why must I have another sister? I want to be the only one in the family.

I hate my life because of this little sister of mine. She gets what she wants. I hate her.

“Sister, can you take the bowl of spaghetti for me?” asked Joanne.I would ignore her. Then, she would ask Mum why I hated her so much, but Mum always brushed off the conversation by sayng I was too tired from coping with my mountainous school work. Even though Joanne was only six, she knew Mum was lying.

“Sister, do you really hate me?” asked Joanne again before she went to bed.

“Yes, I really hate you. Because of you, I am no longer the only child and do not have all the attention I want. Both Mum and Dad pays little attention to me. And this all because of you! I hate you. If you weren’t born, I will be more than happy. You have robbed my happiness!” I yelled at her, fighting back my tears.

“I’m sorry, Sister. I really didn’t mean to,” Joanne apologized and put her arms around my shoulders.

I pushed her and covered myself with my blanket.

Since the day Joanne was born, I had always hated her. When she was a baby, Mum and Dad showered her with their time and love. I was left playing, watching TV alone in my room; no one was there to accompany me, no one.

The next day when I woke up, it was already 9p.m. I went down to have my breakfast. I saw Joanne and Mum and Dad were already at their dining seats. I sat down and started to eat my breakfast. Mum and Dad kept staring at me. I felt uneasy.
“Mum, Dad, why are both of you staring at me?” I asked, feeling uneasy.

“Why did you break Mrs. Julie’s favorite flower pot? You know it costs a lot. She told me that she saw you kicking it,” Dad raised his voice by a few decibels.

I was dumbfounded. I should not have kicked the flower pot just to get my parents’ attention. What have I brought myself into? My face turned livid white; I did not know how to explain this.

“So, guilty aren’t you?” questioned Dad sternly.

“No, Dad. It’s not Sister you are to blame. It’s me. I was the one who told her to destroy the flower pot because I’m really angry with Mrs. Julie as she always called me stinky girl. I wanted to get even with her,” Joanne blurted out a lie.

Joanne winked at me. I was surprised. Joanne had saved me. I was really heartened and grateful to her. Now, I realized the new profound “journey” of my life with Joanne was about to be initiated.

Contributed by Nadiah Isa
Class of 6-9 2009

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice compo.. I think i should learn from you... I frequently use said you see..