Monday, April 6, 2009

Caught!

Every now and then in the cold, hard, prison floor, I would recount the events that led a hardworking Primary 6 student like me to being arrested by the police and led away here to this cold and miserable place… …

“What an unlucky day it is today!” I exclaimed to myself. The first thing in the morning, our social studies teacher, Mrs Yu pounded us with torrents of seemingly endless questions onthe transport in the olden days. Next, she gave us a stack of worksheets that I was sure my head would go pop to get the answers.

When I reached home, I settled down to work. I decided to give Mrs Yu a chance so I took out the crumpled worksheets and began to flatten it. At a glance, I knew that it was a feat for me to complete the worksheets. I sank back on my seat, toying the thought of giving up when my personal computer sounded a beep. Frankenstein had sign in on to the Windows Live Mail and sent a message to me.

I enthusiastically clicked on the “open” icon and I read the message. My eyes nearly popped out from my sockets and my mouth opened wide with astonishment.

I had totally forgotten about my Science Test the next day and I had not even done any revision on it. Anxious as an ant on a heated wok. I immediately sent a reply back to Frankenstein for help. Frankenstein sent me a link to a website and assured me it would be of great help to me in Science.

When I read that message, I found my fingers twitching uncontrollably and my fingers itched to type out the address of the webpage. I patiently waited for the webpage to upload and finally, after what seemed like eternity, the webpage finished uploading. I scanned eagerly through the tips provided but I saw the other half of the page missing. I scrolled down the page and found out why the page was missing. Permission was required from the publisher and a code would be sent to them before uploading.

I knew that if I were to get the publisher’s consent to upload, it would be too late and I would flunk my Science Test for sure. On the other hand,I was reluctant to give a slip to the chance of obtaining a pass for the Science Test. I could not afford to fail the test again.

I decided to cut the Gordian knot as I saw precious seconds ticking away. I hacked into the access panel and waited. I accessed the HTML page and made modifications. I waited again.

I rubbed my hands in glee as my hack was successful. I downloaded all I needed and was armed to the teeth to do well for the test the following day.

I grinned in satisfaction after I completed the last question. Pleased with myself, I was all smiles. The grin on my face did not last for long. The police barged into the examination hall, arrested and frog-marched me towards the police station.

I was awakened by a jolt. Two gaolers stood towering above me, with batons in their hands. They released me after serving my sentence and I vowed from that day onwards to observe the guidelines closely.

Contributed by Aw Hwee Hean
Class of 6-9 2009

No comments: