Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Weave a story - the loss of a loved one

Why is life so unfair to me? What wrong deed had I committed to get anything like this? What?

I used to always think that God had given me the life I wanted, but everything I had was gone in the blink of an eye.

“Is my mum going to be alright?” I asked, blinking away tears of regret.

“Your mum is in a coma now. You may visit her,” replied the doctor, walking away.

If only I had offered my help to Mum to go to the market, Mum would not have suffered. If only I could turn the clock back, I would certainly take care of Mum more than I took care of myself, but, sadly, I could not.

With heavy legs, I forced myself into the ward. Tears welled up in my eyes. Mum just lay till, eyes tightly shut. Her lips were pale.

I went up to Mum, controlling my tears from flowing to my cheeks.

“Mum, I’m so sorry. I’ve not taken care of you well enough. I really will take care of you if you get well. Mum, please wake up…please,” I pleaded with Mum, even though I knew that Mum could not listen.

I continued sobbing from afternoon till evening. I just could not contain my sadness. It was just too much for me to believe the fact that Mum was in a coma. Soon, I fell into a deep sleep.

When I woke up, I was at home. I rubbed my eyes again. Was I dreaming just now?

I got up from bed and looked for Mum. She was nowhere in sight. At that moment, I grasped something was amiss. How could Mum take so long in the market?

As the seconds ticked by, my heart skipped even faster. I began to panic. What if my nightmare came true? What if Mum met with an accident? My imagination ran wild. I did not know what to do.

All of a sudden, the telephone rang, which startled me greatly. I picked it up and answered.

“Hello?” I answered.

“Is this Davina? The daughter of Madam Madison?” asked the caller.

“Yes. That’s my mother,” I replied, confused.

“Your mother has met with an accident. She is warded at Singapore General Hospital,” explained the caller.

“Who are you?” I asked again.

“I’m the staff nurse of Singapore General Hospital,” answered the staff nurse.

I hung up the phone and wiped my tears away. As quick as I could, I dashed out of the house and went to Singapore General Hospital.

When I arrived there, I asked the staff nurse at the reception counter for my mother.

I rushed to the Intensive Care Unit ward and waited outside as a team of doctors and nurses were attending to Mum. As I waited outside, I prayed to God to save Mum’s life. I tried hard not to shed tears but I just could not help it, it was too painful for me to accept.

“Oh God, I promise that I would show more care and concern towards my mother if you spare her,” I prayed hard.

Finally, the team of doctors and nurses came out of the Intensive Care Unit ward. The doctor shook his head when he looked at me.

“Doctor, how’s my Mum?” I asked, worried.

The doctor just shook his head again.

At that moment I just felt like crying out loud. Why my mother? Why did she have to go through this? I fell to the ground. Mum was gone, forever. Mum, my companion, my confidant, my everything. But, now, I was all alone, all by myself.

Contributed by Nadiah Isa
Class of 6-9 2009

No comments: