Monday, April 13, 2009

Weave a story - Hospital

Had it not been for the team of doctors and nurses at the Singapore General Hospital, my mum would not be at home recovering now. They showed much care and concern to the patient and the family. My family and I were very grateful to them.

That day, I was at my office typing out a document for my boss when I received a phone call from my wife, Jane. I was very surprised as she usually does not call me unless it is something really important. I picked up the phone promptly.

“Jason, Mother has tripped and fallen at the bathroom just now! I’ve just admitted her to Singapore General Hospital. Come quickly! I’m afraid she might be in danger!" I heard my wife say in between sobs.

"Alright, I’ll rush over now!" I said, getting worried.

I hung up the phone call soon after and packed my things. I rushed out without informing my boss about it. I dashed to the car park, got into my car and left for the hospital. I reached the hospital forty-five minutes later. I went to the counter to ask for the room where my mum was in.

“She just had a checkup and is now in Ward 53C,” the nurse said politely. I walked briskly to the ward. There I saw my mum lying on the bed unconsciously with some tubes on her. I felt heartbroken to see my mother in such a state. I stood beside her, praying silently that she would be fine.

“Beep, beep,” the machine beeped. It immediately caught my attention. I pressed the emergency button to call for the nurse. Immediately, a doctor and two nurses came. They checked my mum and found out that one of my mum’s blood vessels was blocked and needed an operation at once.

We all got very worried and gave consent go ahead with the operation. My mum was then wheeled to the operation room while I went to sign the operation documents. After signing, I waited outside the operation room. The seconds felt like minutes, minutes like hours and hours like days.

Finally, the operation ended. “How is my mother?” I asked doctor the impatiently when he came out.

“Your mother is out of the danger state at the moment,” assured the doctor. I heaved a sigh of relief.

My mother was safe. She was then moved to the ward to rest.

Contributed by Ang Hui Xin
Class of 6-9 2009

No comments: