Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Weave a story - A pickpocket

As it was the evening peak hours, the train was packed with commuters. Weary commuters jostled with one another to get into the jam-packed train. I elbowed my way into the train but in the midst of getting into the train, a muscular man, wearing a black cap, knocked over me while he was pushing and squeezing through the crowded train.

I stared at him in great frustration, disgusted with his rude behavior. The man simply ignored me and continue pushing his way through .

“I cannot believe it! Such crass people actually exist in the world? There must be something wrong, absolutely wrong!” I whispered to myself.

My legs were aching terribly and I had to bear with the pain of standing on the train. The train pulled out of the station. I heaved a sigh of relief. I scanned through the commuters in the train . Most sitting down were dozing off and for those who were standing, they were either immersed in their own thoughts or having a conversation with their friends.

My glance soon fell upon the man who had knocked onto me. He was acting suspiciously. My curiosity got the better of me. I inched my way through the crowded cabin. I craned my neck a little to observe what he was doing. To my horror, the man sneakily put his hand near a wallet that was protruding out of a middle-aged woman’s handbag. He was trying to steal the wallet!

Seeing that he was succeeding, the man flashed an evil grin on his face. I gasped in horror. I did not know what to do. I was completely blank-minded at the very moment and stood rooted to the spot. When the man had succeeded in his evil act, he quickly walked as fast as he could away from the woman and endeavored to edge his way to the exit of the train, preparing to flee once the doors opened.

Just then, the woman reached her hand to her pocket for her wallet. She was alarmed when she found her wallet was nowhere in sight. Just as she spun her head around, she spotted the man, hand holding a familiar-looking wallet in his hand. She took a step forward and had a closer look. It was indeed her wallet! She quickly raised her voice.

“Pickpocket! There’s a pickpocket on the train!!!."

Just then, all on the train were awakened by her scream for help. I quickly pressed the emergency communication button and reported this to the train operator. Panic-stricken, the man tried to dash for the escalator as the train doors opened. However, the MRT officers arrived just in time before the man could flee. He was then arrested and taken away.

After the man was caught, the officers handed the wallet over to the woman. The woman thanked me. I waited patiently for the arrival of the next train. It had really been an eventful day for me.

Contributed by Jacelyn Sim
Class of 6-9 2009

No comments: