Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Journey

Nobody understood me at all. Nobody. Not even a single soul. In fact, I did not even know who my real parents were. They abandoned me when I was barely two days old. Though I was given everything I wanted at the orphanage, I still thought that life was not fair. I was born into this gloomy world all by myself.
My present parents were now my fourth set. Every couple grew tired of my tantrums and I longed for a loving family and a real home.
“Why do you have to do this?” my foster mother demanded, hands on her hips. Behind her was my foster father, crossing his arms angrily. I leaned against the wall, my eyes blazing with anger. What harm would it do if I were to play computer games for another hour?
Unable to control my temper, I shoved the porcelain vase beside me onto the floor. It shattered to smithereens. “I hate you!” I screamed and dashed into my room, slamming the door behind.
I flung myself onto my bed. Hot angry tears ran down my cheeks. Outside, I could hear my foster parents clearing up the mess. The truth was, I hated myself and I blamed everyone for my past. Pressing my ear against the door, I eavesdropped on my foster parents’ conversation. They had decided to send me back to the orphanage.
The next few days passed by in a blur. Before I knew it, I was back at the orphanage. I did not get along well with anyone there. I had no friends and I hardly spoke to anyone.
One day, a new teacher, Joanne, joined the orphanage. Unlike the other teachers, Joanne did not seem to get mad when I threw tantrums. Instead, she waited for me to calm down before speaking to me.
Often, Joanne comforted me when I was angry and she also reminded me to be more patient by sharing with me many inspiring stories. Nobody in this whole wide world understood me better than Joanne. I began to open myself up and started to socialize with the other orphans.
Years passed in a blink of an eye and I was filled with gratitude for Joanne. If not for her, I would not be where I am now. I forgive my real parents and pray for them. Let them appreciate life and not live forever in the darkness. We are humans and we are not perfect.
Without hope, there is no life. I will brave this journey with no resentment.

Contributed by Ao Ming Yi, Belinda
Class of 6-9 2009

1 comment:

Debbiee♥ said...

wow! what a good compo! but i don't think that it is worth 500 words