Tuesday, June 30, 2009

CW: Nadiah's Writing (unedited)

That very incident taught me much. Only a little lacking of consideration threatened an innocent boy’s life. Come to think of it, I really felt like punching that reckless driver, for he did not think of others before him. Even though that incident had occurred about two days ago, it kept replaying in my mind, again and again. Without realizing it, I was swept into the venue where it all happened, the place where that horrifying incident unfolded by itself…

Trudging to the bus-stop, I gave out a heavy sigh. There were tons and tons of homework for me to complete and I was totally worn out. I just wished that the bus I needed to board to reach home would arrive as quickly as possible.

But, luck was not by my side. The bus did not arrive after more that five minutes.

At the corner of my eye, I caught sight of a blue car. It was speeding furiously and was zig-zagging its way.

“The driver might be drunk,” I whispered softly to myself.

By that time, everyone at the bus-stop had noticed the blue car. They were all holding their breath, as the blue car would bang into the black car right ahead of it, if the blue car did not reduce its speed. Everyone was preparing for the worst, but little did we know that the worse was yet to come…

Unexpectedly, a uniformed boy was riding on his bicycle charging swiftly across the road. At that moment, my heart started pounding rapidly and my fingers were tightly crossed. I prayed hard that nothing bad would happen to the boy, but, my prayer went unanswered.

The blue car was still accelerating ahead, while the young cyclist was also racing forward, totally oblivious of the ever speeding, oncoming blue car.

Right in front of my eyes, I saw the blue car screech to a halt, but, it was too late. The blue car was so fast that it could not stop in time to avoid hitting the uniformed boy.

In quick succession, a loud thud could be heard.

“Oh my God!” I exclaimed in disbelief, my mouth gasping in utter shock.

From my spot, I could see fresh, red blood trickle down the boy’s white knees profusely. Not only were the legs injured, his head, hand and face were also badly wounded. The boy’s uniform was soaked in blood and he was knocked into unconsciousness. The boy’s bicycle was terribly crushed by the great impact and was thrown a few meters away.

I dashed towards the unconscious boy as fast as my legs could carry me. I knelt down beside him and felt for pulse. I could still feel for his pulse, so, I decided to dial for the police and ambulance. I fumbled for my handphone and started punching ‘999’ and ‘995’.

As I waited for the ambulance and police to arrive, suddenly, the blue car which had knocked down the uniformed boy drove past me, leaving a trail of smoke behind. Quickly, I stood up and shouted hysterically and waved my hands frantically in the air for the blue car’s driver. He had knocked down a poor, innocent boy and did not even have the guts to check on the boy! How inhuman could this driver be? I was totally upset and frustrated and I could not suppress those feelings anymore.

I whipped my head around to the bus-stop. Not even a single soul was going to render their help to the poor boy.

All of them were either too shocked to react or just not bothered. I was the only one who was helping. First, it was the reckless driver, and now, it was the people at the bus-stop that were indifferent to the situation. Engulfed in total disappointment and frustration, I could not believe that such people could exist in this world.

Within fifteen minutes, the ambulance’s sirens were blaring away and the ambulance and police drove in. The ambulance placed the unconscious boy onto the stretcher and took the boy to the hospital.

As for me, I was questioned by the police officers. But, I went home with a learning point in my mind: Always put others before you, always be considerate to others and always help others in need.

No comments: