Friday, June 12, 2009

CW - Picture: An accident involving a bicycle

For years, I have not touched a bicycle. Neither do I foresee myself ever zipping around on one in the future. The sheer thought of cycling sends shudders down my spine and the vivid gory scene will replay itself in my mind, bringing back memories of an accident encountered by a dear friend, Peter.

That fateful morning, I was at the bus stop, that bus stop. I was early as usual. Peter would not be in sight till another ten minutes. While waiting, I fantasized how I would look like riding on that coolest bicycle which would soon be my priciest possession. A potential proud owner of a BMX, I ginned to myself.

"Ring, ring, ring," I heard Peter's signature announcement of his arrival. From a distance, I looked in silent envy his superb handling of his bicycle. I vowed to like him one day! I stood up from the bench, giving him a wave in the air when I noticed a goods van gaining on Peter. Apparently, whoever driving in the van had exceeded the speed limit and was a road hazard.

Peter, on noticing the van coming fast and furious behind him, was taken aback. He steered out from the lane, a quick but terribly wrong move, attempting to give way. He leg power was however not a match to the wheels of the revving van. I watched from the opposite side of the road with clenched fists, praying that the worst would not happen.

Panicked, he soon lost control of his bicycle. His bicycle wobbled from side to side only inches ahead of the van. "Peter, watch out!" I screamed across the road, my heart beating faster than ever.

He steadied on his pedalling, attempting to take control. Needless to say, his attempts were futile. By then, the reckless van driver had already hit him from the side.

The bicycle fell over to the side, throwing Peter lying face down on the road. The van screeched noisily to a stop.

An accident. So many times I read in the papers about road accidents. Never had I ever expected myself to witness one unfolding before my eyes. I gasped, my heart almost stopped beating for a few seconds. Paralysed by fear, I was at my wits' end.

The door of the van opened. Out came the errant driver. For a minute, I was thankful that I was not alone at the scene. Walking towards Peter's motionless body, he committed the most inhuman act in the world. Instead of rendering help, the callous driver slipped his hand into the side pocket of Peter's pants to remove his wallet. He returned to his van and drove off, leaving a trail of dust behind and was never to be seen again,

"Oh my God! How could he?" I muttered, infuriated and disgusted.

I ran across the road. Peter's face was drained of colours. Other than his grazed elbows, there were no other visible external injuries.

"Peter, Peter, are you all right?" I shook his shoulder.

Much to my relief, he lifted his head feebly. Forcing a smile on his writhing face, he struggled to say, "Help me up, pal."

I gingerly pulled him up. After settling him down on the pavement, I quickly propped up his bicycle and wheeled it to the side of the road. The bicycle had survived the impact of the knock without a single scratch. What a miracle! Peter was lucky enough to have escaped almost unscathed. The colours on his face were back. He stood up and returned to his usual gait after a few steps of hobbling.

"That van driver must be very disappointed when he can't even find a single cent in my wallet. Let's leave this place," Peter said with a chuckle.

I really marvelled at Peter. I was more shaken by the accident than he was. He still cycled around but always with his helmet on. The driver went scot free as Peter did not want to pursue the matter. As for me, the fantasy of owning a BMX was no longer a fantasy,

2 comments:

the GREAT max said...

Good compo you got there.

the GREAT max said...

Good compo you got there.